Thursday, April 10, 2008

Find Your Style

When I became serious about photography it took me a little while to find what style suited me best as a photographer. I do not have, nor do I want, a studio so I take my pictures on location (i.e., outside or in a clients home). For practice and to get my name out I volunteered to take pictures of friends children and of students in my class. I had a shoot during this time where I posed each of the children and I did not like the pictures at all. The pictures looked fake. I learned from this experience that this was not my style. I began looking at other photographers sites to get ideas and to see what kind of shots I liked. For my next shoot, I simply followed a little boy around and took pictures of him as he played. We started inside, in his bedroom where all of his toys were. We ended up going on a walk to an alley way, which was a short distance from his house. This session resulted in the some of the best pictures I had ever taken. I learned that my style is photojournalistic. This is where "the photographer attempts to produce truthful, objective, and usually candid photography of a particular subject, most often pictures of people (Wikipedia)." Above is a collection of 3 pictures from that shoot.

No comments: